FREE Lab: Create a Free account to run this lab! Create Account in < 1 min
Low-Level Container Runtime
container-security-container-host-security-host | Level: Easy | Total Lab Runs: 0 | Free Lab |
You have managed to gain access to a lab user account on an old development server during a pentest. This server was running docker containers to test applications and developers were given access to this setup. The server was retired but it seems like the administrators forgot to remove all essential components required for container deployment. You search and find runc! Can you gain root?
Objective: Leverage runc to escalate privileges and retrieve the flag stored in the home directory of the root user on the host system!
- runc runtime is installed on the machine and can be invoked by using command "runc".
- The flag is kept in the home directory of the root user (i.e. /root/flag)
The following activities are strictly prohibited on this website unless otherwise explicitly stated as allowed in the mission statement:
- Using automated scanners
- Using brute force attacks
- Denial of Service attacks
- Attacking other student machines in challenges where you might achieve a shell on the vulnerable system
- Attacking the lab infrastructure
Users violating the above will be either temporarily or permanently banned from the website.
If you are unsure about an activity, then please contact support to confirm that it is allowed on our website.
Technical Support for this Lab:
There is a reason we provide unlimited lab time: you can take as much time as you need to solve a lab. However, we realize that sometimes hints might be necessary to keep you motivated!
We currently provide technical support limited to:
- Giving hints for a lab exercise
- In rare circumstances, if you have totally given up (NO!!!) then tell you how to solve it. This will be limited to sharing the solution video or lab report
- A lab exercise fails to load or has errors in it
If you need technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mention the name and link of the lab exercise and other essential details. The more descriptive you are, the faster we can help you. We will get back to you within 24 hours or less.
For adminitrative queries, billing, enterprise accounts etc. please email email@example.com