IMPORTANT:AttackDefense Labs is included with a Pentester Academy subscription! Upgrade Now to access over 1800+ Labs.
Already a Pentester Academy student? Your access will continue uninterrupted. Please use the same Google account to login here.
Not a Pentester Academy student? Try our Free Communitiy Labs
linux-security-linux-basics-basics | Level: Easy | Total Lab Runs: 0 | Premium Lab |
Linux is a multi-user OS and supports user switching using su and sudo commands.
Objective: Learn about switching users by doing the following activities and answering questions:
- How many non-system/daemon users are present on the machine?
- What is the default shell for the student user?
- Which user is a member of the sudoers group?
- Does the user teacher have any sudo capabilities?
- Use sudo command to start SSH service from the student user.
- Switch to root user.
- As root user, add a new user “john” and add john to sudo group.
- As root user, add a new user “lara” and add entry in sudoers file to allow lara start SSH service without being prompted for the password.
- As root user, launch a bash shell as user john (using su command).
- As root user, delete user “john”.
The following activities are strictly prohibited on this website unless otherwise explicitly stated as allowed in the mission statement:
- Using automated scanners
- Using brute force attacks
- Denial of Service attacks
- Attacking other student machines in challenges where you might achieve a shell on the vulnerable system
- Attacking the lab infrastructure
Users violating the above will be either temporarily or permanently banned from the website.
If you are unsure about an activity, then please contact support to confirm that it is allowed on our website.
Technical Support for this Lab:
There is a reason we provide unlimited lab time: you can take as much time as you need to solve a lab. However, we realize that sometimes hints might be necessary to keep you motivated!
We currently provide technical support limited to:
- Giving hints for a lab exercise
- In rare circumstances, if you have totally given up (NO!!!) then tell you how to solve it. This will be limited to sharing the solution video or lab report
- A lab exercise fails to load or has errors in it
If you need technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mention the name and link of the lab exercise and other essential details. The more descriptive you are, the faster we can help you. We will get back to you within 24 hours or less.
For adminitrative queries, billing, enterprise accounts etc. please email email@example.com