IMPORTANT:AttackDefense Labs is included with a Pentester Academy subscription! Upgrade Now to access over 1800+ Labs.
Already a Pentester Academy student? Your access will continue uninterrupted. Please use the same Google account to login here.
Not a Pentester Academy student? Try our Free Communitiy Labs
DNS Wildcard Entries
network-pentesting-dns | Level: Easy | Total Lab Runs: 0 | Premium Lab |
DNS is a crucial component in the proper working of the internet. Once a critical DNS server is compromised, the attackers get a strong advantage as they could control which domain maps to which IP address and vice-versa. Sometimes, configuration mistakes happen as setting up a DNS server correctly is not an easy task and hence, a small mistake can cause havoc.
In this scenario, the administrator has configured the DNS entries for witrap.com properly and restricted for zone transfers. As a defensive measure, they have also enabled wildcard entries as well so that non-existing pages would also be served.
Objective: Use dnsenum tool to enumerate the resource records for witrap.com and find out the distinct IP addresses that exist.
- This lab is dedicated to you! No other users are on this network :)
- Once you start the lab, you will have access to a Kali GUI instance.
- Your Kali instance has an interface with IP address 192.X.Y.2. Run "ip a" to know the values of X and Y.
- The target web server should be running on the machine having IP address 192.X.Y.3.
- The target DNS server should be running on the machine having IP address 192.X.Y.4.
- Do not attack the gateway located at IP address 192.X.Y.1
The following activities are strictly prohibited on this website unless otherwise explicitly stated as allowed in the mission statement:
- Using automated scanners
- Using brute force attacks
- Denial of Service attacks
- Attacking other student machines in challenges where you might achieve a shell on the vulnerable system
- Attacking the lab infrastructure
Users violating the above will be either temporarily or permanently banned from the website.
If you are unsure about an activity, then please contact support to confirm that it is allowed on our website.
Technical Support for this Lab:
There is a reason we provide unlimited lab time: you can take as much time as you need to solve a lab. However, we realize that sometimes hints might be necessary to keep you motivated!
We currently provide technical support limited to:
- Giving hints for a lab exercise
- In rare circumstances, if you have totally given up (NO!!!) then tell you how to solve it. This will be limited to sharing the solution video or lab report
- A lab exercise fails to load or has errors in it
If you need technical support, please email email@example.com clearly mention the name and link of the lab exercise and other essential details. The more descriptive you are, the faster we can help you. We will get back to you within 24 hours or less.
For adminitrative queries, billing, enterprise accounts etc. please email firstname.lastname@example.org